You just bought a brand new electric skateboard and can’t wait to shred the streets. But before your go on a riding rampage you first need to charge your battery. In this article you’ll find a few tips&tricks for keeping your battery in peak condition and how to maintain it. If you handle your battery with care it will also take care of you.
How to best maintain your Electric Skateboard Battery
- First of all please charge the battery up all the way before the first use.
- The first few times you use the board the range will be different, don’t worry. You probably get half or less range out of it. This is because your controller needs to calibrate the fuel gauge.
- On the first 5-7 cycles you need to full charge and discharge your battery, This will speed up the process of calibration and support reaching the full range of your battery.
- Always charge your battery after using it! No matter if you are fully or only partially discharged the battery (after the first 5-7 cycles) always needs to be topped up after riding.
- With most brands your battery can stay in the charger without any problems. Leaving the battery on the charger allows the Battery Management System (BMS) to to balance the pack. This increases the lifetime of your pack it’s good to balance your battery on a regular basis.
- If you have to clean your battery (I am looking at your Mellow and Koowheel) do so with a damp cloth. Never expose your battery in a direct flow of water.
- Regularly check the battery connectors for rust, moisture or damage. The connector is mostly made of metal so can easily damage.
- Never immerse your battery in water, that is just stupid. Even if the manufacturer says that the board is waterproof the battery is not.
- Never expose your connector when riding on your board. Dust can come in and shortcut your battery.
- Never open, puncture or short your battery.
- Never overheat your battery, especially with open fire.
- Never remove the connector.
- Never ride with your battery not connected, water can not only get in the connector your system can also overcharge if your electric skateboard has regenerative breaking.
You might be a skilled electrician and know exactly what to do when it goes south you will void your warranty. Just send it to us and we will fix it.